Many people wonder if a painful tooth is actually an abscessed, or infected tooth. Here are 5 symptoms to watch for if you think you have an abscessed tooth:
1. Pain and/or throbbing: This could be in one area of the mouth or spreading into the cheek and neck.
2. Swelling: Just like the pain, it can be local to the abscessed tooth or occur in places like your cheeks and neck. Swelling can move into the face.
3. Sensitive to hot and/or cold: The abscessed tooth may be sensitive to different food and drink temperatures.
4. Bad breath: A foul smell can be a sign of infection lingering in the mouth.
5. Fever: As the infection spreads, a fever may present itself. This is the sign of a more advanced stage of an abscessed tooth.
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, call the office right away to prevent more serious health problems.